Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Hunger Games: A Review

Hello there, welcome to my review of The Hunger Games. This review might seem a little late. I saw the hunger games a few weeks back and I had mixed thoughts towards it. Anyone that has read the book will already know the plot, but for anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the movie (I suggest doing both) here is the plot. A girl from poverty stricken District 12 get's chosen to be in the hunger games. Katniss, her sister volunteers in her place. The Hunger Games is a fight to the death, pitting a boy and a girl from all 12 districts against each other. The winner would bring home riches and prizes to their district.
My two biggest criticisms are one, they writers of the movie added a lot more corny love stuff and two, most of the violence is implied and not shown. The second criticism I can understand. When someone's making a movie based on a brutal, violent book it's going to be rated R. The fact is though that most people reading the Hunger Games books don't go to rated R movies. So, the writers cut out large chunks of violence and replaced it with sappy love bull-crap.
Besides those two things the movie was a pretty good representation of the book. The book is still better, though.
When the first hunger games book came out I was in 3rd grade and most kids weren't into it much. It wasn't until my year of 5th grade that I saw a lot more interest in the series. Most of my friends totally lost interest in the books in 6th grade (that I know of) and when the movie came out more kids started reading the book. So...the movie was a good, three star, representation of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment